Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Journal 6- Chapter 6:

Teaching with Educational Websites and Other Online Resources

 

Image Source: Shane Pope on Flickr

 

Focus Question: What is information management and digital content?

Information management is a business term that typically describes the way organizations and systems keep track of data and making decisions and setting policies.

Digital content is an easily accessible source of academic information and knowledge online.

Tech Tool:Diigo

Diigo is similar to Delicious.com in the fact that you can bookmark websites. But with Diigo you can highlight Web pages and add sticky notes. Every time you go on that page your notations will be there. I like it better than Delicious and found it to be very user friendly and they even have it on the iPad.

Summary & Connection

 This chapter talks a lot about bookmarking and ways that you can organize information on the Web. In class, all students were assigned to make a Delicious account but I honestly haven't used it very much. I think personally I just don't like bookmarking websites. Maybe when I become a teacher I would have more uses for them.


Resources:
 Maloy, Robert W. Transforming Learning with New Technologies. Boston: Pearson/Allyn and Bacon, 2011. Web

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite surprised that you haven't found a relevant use for delicious other than the requirement for class (though do remember you need to bookmark some sites for your portfolio assignment, so don't give up on it yet!). I actually use diigo more than delicious now myself, but find it more difficult to introduce to students so start with delicious. When you open a diigo account, you can set it up that it also posts to delicious, so there's a back-up which is also nice.

    ReplyDelete